Wednesday, January 17, 2007

True love snapshot # 2

It was a warm, breezy Sunday afternoon in May. The trees surrounding your apartment were sprinkled with an array of colorful blossoms, ranging from yellows to pinks to delicate whites.


I stood here on the rooftop of the four-story apartment building, surveying the rooftops below me as the breeze blew the cotton skirt around my knees. The scene was nothing particularly special – just rows of suburban houses stretching out in both directions, occasionally interspersed with slightly taller apartments, townhouses and stores. In the distance was clearly outlined the skyscrapers of downtown.


There was a calm satisfaction in my heart at that moment, interrupted only by a pleasant shiver down my spine as I recalled how we had danced at the country club the night before. You held me close on the dance floor while the last song played, told me how happy you were at that moment, and leaned down to plant a soft, brief kiss on my lips.


For me, that moment was a fulfillment of months of waiting for you to express how you truly felt about me. The evasiveness and denial had been stressing me out prior to that evening, prior to that kiss. I still had not heard the words I was hoping to hear – not yet, at least – but with the progress we were making, I knew that it wouldn’t be long before you would say them.


Just several moments earlier, we were having lunch with a group of friends from church. You had given me secret, meaningful smiles all throughout the meal. After I’d finished eating and had gone to lounge on your couch, you came over and whispered, “Meet me on the rooftop in a few minutes.”


I have to admit that my heart started beating faster when I heard your familiar footsteps on the creaky wood-and-iron staircase behind me. I waited with bated breath, not turning around, as you approached. The wind carried a slight tinge of your perfume under my nostrils.


Your arms slid around my waist from behind. I turned around to face you and rested my hands on your shoulders, as though we were about to dance again. “Hey there,” I said teasingly. “Took you awhile to come up here.”


“I had to make sure no one noticed me slip outside,” you explained, chuckling.


“Hmmm.” I studied your face thoughtfully. “And what did you want to meet me up here for that was so important, we had to sneak away from your house guests?”


You paused before pulling me closer. “This,” you said, and you leaned down and kissed me fervently.


Half an hour later, we were sitting on the couch in front of our friends, your arms around my shoulders as you shyly and hesitantly, but truthfully, told them how much you wanted to be with me.

No comments: